Empty Bowls Fundraiser
What is Empty Bowls? Empty Bowls began in 1990 as an art class project in a Michigan high school to raise money for a food drive. Students made ceramic bowls, served a simple meal of soup and bread and asked guests to keep the bowl as a reminder of all the empty bowls at meal time around the world. Soon this simple idea morphed into an international project to raise money and awareness for the the fight against hunger. While everyone puts their own spin on different Empty Bowls events across the globe, a few things must be consistent -
Held at Parker-Binns Vineyard the last few years, guests sample soups from 6 local restaurants, enjoy artisan breads from Standing Stone Bakery and live music on the porch by The Trophy Husbands Unplugged. Beer and Parker-Binns wines are offered for sale. We also have a Silent Art Auction featuring beautiful pottery and other works of art made by local professionals.
Our Empty Bowls event is a wonderful, collaborative, community effort that would not be possible without Tryon Arts and Crafts School, our local professional artists, volunteers, restaurant and business sponsors. 2019's Empty Bowls is sponsored by HomeTrust Bank, Artistry Above and Saluda Outfitters. Local restaurant sponsors are Huckleberry's Restaurant, Lavender Bistro, McGourty's Irish Pub, Southside Smokehouse & Grill, The Purple Onion, The Rural Seed Restaurant. Standing Stone Bakery is providing tasty artisan bread.
Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 at the door, if still available. Every ticket sold will provide a family with more than one week's worth of food (nearly 2 grocery carts full) and supports Outreach's mission to provide compassionate assistance to Polk County residents who do not have the resources to provide for their basic needs.
2019 Empty Bowls Sponsors
Empty Bowls 2019 - the Best Yet!
Empty Bowls is a wonderful, collaborative community effort that raises money for our food pantry. We are grateful to all who helped to make this year's event such a fun success -
- Business sponsors: Artistry Above, HomeTrust Bank, Saluda Outfitters
- Restaurant & Bakery Sponsors: Huckleberry's, Lavender Bistro, McGourty's, Southside Smokehouse, The Purple Onion, The Rural Seed Restaurant & Standing Stone Breads
- The Arts Community: Tryon Arts and Crafts School and potters- Will Barclift, Jim Cornell, Doug Dacey, Ann Gleason, Becky Hintz, Gary Huntoon, JoAnn Kearney, Samantha Oliver, David Voorhees; all the artists who donated to the Silent Art Auction & Silent Art Auction Coordinators Kam Kammerer and Stacey Lindsay
- Parker-Binns Vineyard
- All our wonderful volunteers
- Everyone who bought tickets to this year's event
2018 Empty Bowls Fun
Scenes from Outreach's 4th Annual Empty Bowls Fundraiser held October 6
Community Make-a-Bowl Event Thank you to everyone who came out to make a bowl in July at Tryon Arts and Crafts School - great turnout and lots of fun! We made over 100 bowls that will be given away at Empty Bowls on October 6. We are grateful for all the community support!
A Look Back ... Pics from Empty Bowls 2017